In the heavy, molasses-slow days of late summer, I always find myself eating tons of raw fruits and vegetables in an attempt to feel less like a sponge full of sweat and more like a human being. This salad is simple and fresh and easily modified.
For a more savory salad:
- One watermelon, about 8 lbs
- One-third cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- Three tablespoons lemon juice
- Two cups feta cheese
- One small red onion, diced
- About one cup of roughly chopped mint leaves
- Fresh-ground pepper to taste
- About two teaspoons kosher salt
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Chop up your watermelon. If you’ve got a melon scooper and like smaller, more bite-sized pieces, go ahead and use that. Put it in a large bowl.
Pour the liquid over the watermelon and sprinkle with the mint leaves, onion, and crumbled feta.
As I said, this recipe is very easily changed to suit your specific tastes. If you want a sweeter salad, for example, mix in some honey with your lemon juice and oil, or if you prefer an even more savory dish, add in some coarsely chopped kalamata olives or even some finely diced raw garlic.
Recipe adapted from